A blog about raising 5 kids, photography, DIY, recipes and whatever else may come our way....

Friday, July 11, 2014

Dining Room Buffet Makeover!

Hello all!
Tonight I will be sharing with you all my buffet makeover. We used to have this huge hutch in our dining room which I loved but it was just way too big. I decided about a year ago I needed a change and decided to sell it. Well we finally were able to sell it about 3 weeks ago. Yay! I was so excited to be able to have more room in our dining room. I immediately started looking for buffets. I lucked out last week & found one. On Facebook there is a group I belong to called Berkshire Tag Sales. It's a group started by a local man for people to buy/sell instead of always having to have an actual tag sale. Anyway, last week I was going through the page & found a woman trying to get rid of an old buffet. And the best part is it was only $20!! I pounced on that deal as fast as I could that's for sure! I picked it up that day. Here it is, the BEFORE.

When I told my husband he was just as excited as I was! I told him I wanted to try stripping the top of it, stain it, paint the bottom white & paint the handles black. He was cool with whatever I decided to do. Here is a pic of the top all sanded down. My FIL brought me an electric sander to use, let me just say I love it! So much easier then doing it by hand.
 
Sanded down even more & bottom all primed.
 
I ended up doing 1 coat of primer & 3 coats of white paint on the bottom. For the top I used a red mohagany stain then did 4 coats of poly. The handles were obviously the easiest part because I just spray painted them black.
And here it is the AFTER!
 
Here are a few more views...
 


 
I finished it yesterday morning and the hubby & I carried it last night. Once I got up this morning I filled it right up with my tablecloths, napkins & china. So then of course I needed to decorate the top of it. This is what I came up with:

 

 
 



 
I am very happy with how this turned out! This project was so inexpensive that I can't believe my good luck with this find!
Buffet - $20
Wood Stain, Poly & brush - $15/20
White paint - free, already had it
I'd say it's a steal for being $35/40!
 
One more time the BEFORE:
 
And the AFTER:
 
 
Let me know what you think!!
Have a good night all!
 
 
Linking up to:


4 comments:

I Love Your Comments!!